Parish Administrator & Communications Coordinator
Christ Episcopal Church in Millwood, Virginia
We are seeking a Parish Administrator & Communications Coordinator to provide administrative, communications, and organizational support to the Rector, parish staff, lay leaders, and the ministries of the parish. This position is vital to the life and ministry of the church, and we are looking for someone who will make a long-term commitment to the congregation.
The position is scheduled for 19, on site, hours per week. The scheduling of those hours can be flexible. The starting salary is $20,000 per year, paid in equal installments, twice per month. A person with the right fit has the opportunity for a meaningful and rewarding job.
Our parish is growing, realizing increasing need for technology and internet-based resources in worship, ministry, and communications. We are seeking an applicant with experience and expertise in the areas noted below and a willingness to learn new applications and technology when necessary.
- You will often be the first face or voice that visitors contact. Therefore you must be friendly and personable both on the telephone, and to those arriving in person.
- You must be comfortable with walk-in visitors, and those seeking financial and pastoral support.
- You must be discreet, understanding that you might hear or see displays of grief, or accidentally overhear personal information.
- The successful candidate will have practiced communications skills and be able to ask questions, seek clarification, navigate conflict, and seek conversation with the Rector, co-workers, and others to address questions or issues.
- Welcome scheduled guests, visitors, and the general public.
- Learn how to use the phone system in order to answer the phone, take messages, etc.
- Manage the parish email account, responding in a timely manner, and passing messages on to the appropriate person when necessary. Follow up on communications appropriately.
- Collect, review, distribute, and process U.S. mail.
- Work with church volunteers in various ways.
- Maintain parish calendar of events and meetings, both on-site and off-site; assist in maintaining the Rector’s schedule/calendar.
- Possess strong administrative and organizational skills, keeping tasks, paperwork, files – both paper and electronic – organized.
- Support weekly parish communications, including weekly worship bulletin, flyers and notices, and other parish-wide communications.
- Organize and maintain church records, both physical and electronic, to support annual reporting.
- Assist, as needed, in organization and planning of special or unexpected events, including weddings, funerals, fund-raising events, and other community or church events.
- Assist the accountant in documentation of deposits, bills, and payments.
- Maintain and order office supplies, and supplies needed to support parish ministries.
Computer and Technology Skills
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Publisher, Excel, and PowerPoint (3+ years of experience preferred).
- Understand the use of databases to create merged, personalized mailings.
- Must know how to print labels, envelopes, etc.
- Experience with social media platforms, including Facebook and its various functions, including creating events, uploading photos and videos, scheduling Facebook live events, etc.
- Experience with online meeting platforms including Zoom, Google Meets, etc.
- Familiarity with Constant Contact as a communications tool.
- Competency in using a large, multi use copier/scanner/printer.
Requirements for Employment
- The Episcopal Diocese of Virginia requires that all employees pass a criminal background check.
- Three professional references, which will be checked
- Diocesan training for the prevention of sexual misconduct with children and adults, and other Diocesan training requirements as they arise.
Christ Episcopal Church in Millwood is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and three references to The Rev. Melanie Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org .